Tuesday, July 31, 2012

A 3 Month-Old Heartache

The 25th marked three months. Three months since the first and last time that we saw our baby boy. Instead of a three month old baby, I have a three month old heartache.

We are supposed to have a living baby boy. He would've rolled over by now. He would be smiling, no doubt. The 3-6 months outfits would be fitting his little body. We would be searching for day cares as I search for a job and Lyla starts school. Our days and nights would be full of both joy and stress.

But none of that is true.

Time is marching on, and I am thankful for that, but I feel stuck. I feel like a fish out of water. I flop around every which way to find happiness and relief. I spend my days enjoying my family and planning for the future--a future without our Wyatt. Sometimes I get close enough to the water to get a big gulp, and I'm okay for a little while, but at the end of the day, I am still on the shore longing to get back into the water.

My heart still constricts with anxiety at the sight of new babies and glowing mothers. I can't breathe. I want MY baby. People share their condolences and offer hugs, but in the back of their minds I know they are truly thinking, "Thank goodness that didn't happen to me." It's hard not to be selfish in this world. I feel selfish for thinking, "Why? Why do some of us get slammed this way in this life and others don't?" I feel selfish for wanting my own baby...how ironic is that?

I had two children.

I have two children.

Hmm.. How do you explain the loss of a baby who died before his first breath? Before his first cry? Before his first kiss? There was no car accident or a childhood illness.

I am asked quite often from strangers just trying to make conversation. I don't have a scripted answer. Usually I just gage my answer on who it is that is asking and where we are. My answer to the cashier at Wal-mart- "Yes, she's my only child." *sting* (I'm so sorry, Wyatt, mommy didn't mean to say it. I just didn't want the nosey people behind me to huff and puff because I was taking too long.) The answer I provided to the lady giving me a facial just yesterday when she simply asked if I had any children..." I do. I have a little girl who will be 5 in September, and a little boy who would be three months old, but he's no longer with us." Silence (oh, how I'm use to the silence). We were in a private room, so I felt the need to acknowledge my sweet boy. We HAVE two children.


Rainbows, butterflies, airplanes, the wind, and the penny jar challenge....why do I try so hard to mention my son's name and existence at every given chance? Because it's all I have. I can't DO anything for my son. I can't give him a bath. I can't feed him a bottle. I can't change his diaper. I cannot kiss him. I cannot hold him. All I can do is love him.

I blog about him. I got a tattoo in his memory. I visit his grave frequently. We have created a memorial garden in our yard for him. He has a chest full of things to honor his memory. I am currently trying to put together a 5K for our Wyatt (more details later). I speak of him often. These are a few things that I have found I CAN do for our son.

Each one of those things is a replacement for something I cannot do for him. A substitute for bath time, story time, playtime, and nap time.

I am terrified that I will eventually run out of things to do for him.



2 comments:

  1. Although I can't possibly understand all of your pain, I do feel a portion of it. Even though it's been 3 yr 2 months since my first and almost 3 years since my 2nd miscarriages, I still think about them every time someone asks if RG is my only child. I always say, "yes" just so I don't have to explain and also so they don't feel bad for asking a question they could not know would be a hard one to answer. I wish I could say that sting will go away, but for me it hasn't completely. I don't cry everytime I think about them anymore, I always think about what they were, what I would've named them, what they would've looked like. One day we'll get to meet them, but for now, I know how you feel when you have to answer "yes" to that hard question. Thanks for posting this. Sometimes it helps to know others feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will never run out of things to do for Wyatt because you will never run out of love for him...there will always be a jar full of pennies to buy someone's dinner, to buy a Christmas gift for a needy child, etc in Wyatt's name and honor! Wyatt will live on FOREVER in your heart and in mine as well as so many people who's life he has touched!

    ReplyDelete