Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Penny Jar

I have a challenge for you.

As most of you reading this have probably already read my other posts, including the one in which I referred to the penny that we placed in our angel's casket, you are likely to understand my challenge. I also attached a poem about angels and pennies to the bottom of that post...go back and read it if you need to...
http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5981824631057790393#editor/target=post;postID=7565978485480568009
Since that post, and even before, I have been approached in person and through messages by a number of people who have found pennies and believe that Wyatt or their own angel was sending them a sweet gesture. It makes my heart happy that my baby boy is touching so many lives and putting belief in the hearts of others.

Pennies have shown up to me in the most random of places, and amazingly, at the most perfect times.

 Just yesterday I was feeling anxious and in excessive need of relief. As I exited a public building with members of my family I immediately let my eyes fall to the ground. I was searching for that penny. I needed to feel strength from my angel. My aunt noticed what I was doing and said, "What are you doing? Oh, looking for a penny?" She knows. I just smiled and quickly made my way to a bench, reached down, and scooped up a shiny one cent coin from the concrete. I placed the penny in my pocket, took a deep breath, and continued on with my day. Faith.

No, I don't believe that my angel baby flew down here from heaven and placed those pennies knowing that I would stumble upon them. That's where faith comes in. You see, faith is believing in something even if you cannot see it or touch it. I believe that my little boy is an angel in the kingdom of Heaven. I believe that the Lord is helping me to find peace at certain times by encouraging the overwhelming sensation of happiness every time I FIND a penny, even if the feeling is short lived.

Now, I don't get all giggly when a cashier hands me change and there are pennies in the bunch, but when I'm walking in a parking lot, or on a sidewalk, or cleaning, and I come across a penny, my heart skips a beat. Truly.


Back to the challenge.

I have written Wyatt's name on a tiny glass jar and have placed it on our coutner top in the kitchen. All of the pennies that we have "found" will go into that jar. When the jar is full of found pennies I plan to do a good deed in the name of our precious little boy. For example, maybe I will buy a meal for a needy family, or send a little something special to a friend who is hurting. In other words, all of the pennies that have provided Waylon, Lyla, or myself with a teeny bit of joy, will go towards doing the same for someone else. The circle of love will continue.

I challenge all of you reading this to create your own penny jar. Write Wyatt's name on it. Or the name of your very own angel. Not only will you receive joy from finding the pennies, but seeing the name each and every day will help to keep your angel in your thoughts. When the jar is full, find a way to honor the angel who "sent" you all of those beautiful copper coins.

8 comments:

  1. I love this! Challenge accepted! Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet way to honor Wyatt's memory! This entire blog is so touching! You are in my prayers. You are an amazing mom to both of your precious babies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too love this! I planned on making a Wyatt penny jar...and love the challenge, consider it done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phoenix always seems to find penny's in the most random places lately. Just a few days ago he found one at the park (full of bark). He shouted "money" I couldn't even see what he was pointing to, and then after minutes of Phoenix getting frustrated with me, ande searching frustratedly I found a shinny penny. I immediately thought of Wyatt and your post about penny's. That penny is on Phoenix's shelf in his room.

    Challenge accepted, we will be starting a penny jar for Wyatt.

    :) love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a beautiful idea! We accept your challenge! :) God bless little Wyatt and all the other angels watching over us! You are an inspiration to many Krystal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yesterday I was in register #4 at work, and when I counted it down at night I left $100 in it like we are supposed to. This morning I get to work and I am on register 4 again! This almost never happens! We are never on the same register back to back. So when I counted it this morning there was $100.01. My thoughtful nephew sent me an extra penny!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too sweet! Would love to help! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am excited to see all of you willing to participate in honoring and remembering our sweet Wyatt. I would love to see pictures of your penny jars!

    ReplyDelete