Thursday, May 31, 2012

Our Story (1)- The beautiful beginning

After much thought on where exactly to start, I have decided to take it back to the beginning of what started out as a dream that inevitably turned into a nightmare.

Upon moving from SC to TN in the summer of 2011 we were excited to find out in September that we were expecting baby #2. We immediately shared our good news with family and friends. Everyone was thrilled, and frankly had been expecting us to add to our family for quite sometime seeing as to though our daughter was almost 4. Lyla was thrilled, but full of questions; she was sure to be the best big sister ever. From the very beginning Lyla had expressed feelings for wanting a baby brother, although Waylon and I were almost certain that we were destined to have only girls.


The doctor's visits began. At my first visit the ultrasound revealed that our baby was 6 weeks and 1 day (gestational age). Waylon and I heard the most wonderful sound, our baby's heartbeat, in October 2011 for the first time. Life was perfect. The following months were full of anticipation. Anticipation for upcoming doctor's visits, buying and moving into a new home,  completion of my BA (finally), and of course, the holiday season. In December we had our anatomy ultrasound and were ecstatic to find out we were expecting a healthy baby BOY!! I remember seeing Waylon's eyes light up with joy, not only in the revelation of the sex of the baby, but I could feel his prayers for a healthy baby being answered as we watched our little guy flip and squirm on the screen. We kept the gender a secret for a few short days and delivered the news to family and friends via a gender reveal cake at my graduation party. Blue icing was exposed once the cake was cut and the room erupted with screams of joy and laughter. Wyatt Michael was the chosen name. The middle name chosen to match his daddy's, his uncle Darren's, and his Paw Paw's. Life was good. No, it was more than good.



The holidays came and went and the doctor's visits continued right on schedule without any issues. The pregnancy was flawless. After my graduation, we decided it best for me to stay home with Lyla for the remainder of the pregnancy. We filled our days with reading books, playing games, taking naps, and shopping and preparing for baby brother. We decided to reuse Lyla's baby furniture and decorate with a vintage airplane theme for our sweet boy's nursery. Waylon worked hard in preparing the nursery after his long days at work with all of the items that Lyla and I had bought during our many shopping trips.



Around the 28th week of my pregnancy, we decided to have a 3D/4D ultrasound session done. I am so glad that we did that now. We have a 20 minute video of our little guy swimming, yawning, smiling, rubbing his eyes, sucking his thumb, kicking, punching, and opening his little eyes inside the womb. That video is priceless now. Speaking of movements, Wyatt moved constantly; so much more than his big sister did. I was able to feel him move for the first time around my 17th week, and Waylon got to feel him move for the first time on my birthday. Wyatt also moved in response to Waylon's voice, especially when reading the bible; our little boy admired his daddy already. Big sister Lyla was known for grabbing my big belly, rubbing her nose on it, and saying in the cutest voice, " Who's a good brother?" It was so sweet it could give you cavities. :)




A wonderful and thoughtful baby "sprinkle" was given in honor of Wyatt around my 32nd week of pregnancy. My sister, sister-in-law, and aunts did a fabulous job in preparing for and hosting a sweet, airplane themed party to help us prepare for Mr. Wyatt's upcoming arrival. Many much needed items were given to us and within 2 weeks, the nursery was completely ready for our little boy.




Week 36 began the start of my weekly doctor's visits. Eagerness for the end of the pregnancy and the beginning of life with our baby boy was evident in each of us in the house. I had been in full-nesting mode and the house was fully prepared for bringing home a newborn. Lyla's clothes were set out and arrangements for her care had been made. Hospital bags were packed and in the truck. Excitement for Wyatt's arrival continued to build as each day passed and each movement was felt. By 37 weeks I had dilated to 2 cm and had noticed Wyatt's decent into position for delivery. The light was becoming brighter at the end of the tunnel and the readiness level to meet our baby boy was high! The waiting games began. Although we were getting a bit antsy, nothing could have prepared us for the upcoming events of the next week. Life was simply just too perfect.


3 comments:

  1. I loved how you documented your pregnancy and I feel blessed that we were all able to share Wyatt with you during that time! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Since it was all the time I had with him, I felt it only right to make a short recap of those wonderful 9 months.

      Delete
  2. Your story is beautiful. I had a friend tell me about your blog since I recently have had a loss in November of 2012. Her name is Julia Deep. Love hearing the story of your sweet baby boy. <3

    ReplyDelete